The Truth Shall Set You Free

Monday, August 21, 2006

Perseverance of the Saints

I want to thank everyone for their participation and good posts over the past couple of months. I believe we’ve achieved an edifying level of dialogue that has both encouraged and challenged the reader. Of course, I can only speak for myself, but that is how I feel after participating in this exercise. The last post in this series on Extreme Calvinism covers the P in TULIP which stands for Perseverance of the Saints. I suppose this one letter unites the many different versions of Calvinists and even encompasses many non-Calvinists under the umbrella of eternal security or as many say, once saved, always saved.

Personally, I believe the Bible boldly proclaims that once a person is truly born again, they are then sealed with the Holy Spirit and nothing can snatch them out of God’s hand. In other words, there is no sin you can commit that can separate you from God after you are saved. We all continue to sin, but the key is the saved person now has the Holy Spirit living in them and as a result of this relationship with God, they will experience the convicting power of God’s Spirit leading them to repent and confess their sins when they take place. Sometimes we stew in our anger, lust, fleshly desires, pride, evil attitudes, etc., but at the end of the day, figuratively speaking, we Christians know that we have sinned against God and our fellow man. We also know we must repent of these sins and yield ourselves to God so that we can have our fellowship restored with Him through prayer, His word and fellowship with other believers. The Christian life encompasses obedience to God and the more obedient we become, the more He will reward as good and faithful servants. Our obedience should never be to obtain eternal rewards, but rather to obey Him in faith and to grow and mature in Christ while He molds and shapes us into the sons and daughters He desires us to become.

As stated earlier, the final letter in the acrostic TULIP stands for Perseverance of the Saints. Basically, this means all of those who are regenerated will persevere to the end. In other words, they will all make it to heaven. All Calvinists believe that all the elect will persevere in their faith and be saved. In other words, all the regenerated are elect, and all the elect will be in heaven.

According to Geisler in his book Chosen But Free, there is not always a discernible difference between extreme and moderate Calvinists on this point. However, at least some extreme Calvinists seem to imply that none of the elect will die in sin, while the moderate Calvinist holds that no elect person will be lost, even if he dies in sin. Also of note, extreme Calvinists believe that all elect persons will be faithful to the end. Whereas moderate Calvinists hold that even if some true believers are not faithful until death, nonetheless, God will still be faithful to them (2 Timothy 2:13).
There are many wonderful verses in the Bible that affirm the doctrine of eternal security. A few, but not all include:

John 5:24
John 6:39-40
John 10:27-28
John 17:12
Hebrews 10:14
Romans 8:29-30
Romans 8:37-39
Romans 11:29
Ephesians 1:13-14
Philippians 1:6


and there are many others...

I believe this is a clear teaching from Scripture and agree with the doctrine of eternal security. Certainly God does the work and sees that work to completion, and we have nothing to boast of in that. God simply calls us to be obedient to His word and to walk in His Spirit for as He says, without faith it is impossible to please Him. He promises to never forsake us or leave us and there is nothing that can separate us from His love once we repent and believe the gospel and are born again!

In Him,

Eye

8 Comments:

  • Eye,

    Good post! Here's something we agree on!

    I like to stand on Rom 8:29-30.

    But then I am challenged and, frankly, scared by 1 Cor 10:12, "Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall."

    And 1 Jn 2:19, "They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us."

    And Matt 7:22-23, "Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

    Then I start to worry, what if I'm not a Christian in the first place? I know all truly saved people will persevere, but what if I'm not saved? How do I know? I take comfort in the following:

    1 Cor 12:3 - "Therefore I am informing you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God says, “Jesus is cursed,” and no one can say, 'Jesus is Lord,' except by the Holy Spirit." I can say, "Jesus is Lord," therefore the Holy Spirit must be working in me. And if the Holy Spirit is working in me, then I will certainly be preserved to the end!

    The lesson I take from this is: Be assured, you will persevere, but don't be complacent.

    Don't be complacent: "Work out your own salvation in fear and trembling" (Phil 2:12b). But be assured: "For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure" (Phil 2:13).

    To God be the glory both now and forevermore!

    Dr Davy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 22, 2006 7:48 AM  

  • dr davy,

    Amen and amen! Excellent insight and thoughts on key verses regarding this topic. I too am reminded and comforted by the following:

    Ephesians 1:13-14: 'ye were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise, which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession...'

    And to edification in Him:

    Jude 20-21: 'But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost, keep yourselves in the love of God...'

    In Him,

    Eye

    By Blogger Eye, at August 22, 2006 8:26 AM  

  • Great post Eye! I'm truly pleased that we all can agree that those of us who are the elect WILL BE SAVED IN THE END, even when we fail throughout the middle.

    By Blogger Dawn, at August 22, 2006 11:54 AM  

  • Dr. Davy: "The lesson I take from this is: Be assured, you will persevere, but don't be complacent.

    Don't be complacent: "Work out your own salvation in fear and trembling" (Phil 2:12b). But be assured: "For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure" (Phil 2:13).

    To God be the glory both now and forevermore!
    "

    Great points!

    By Blogger Dawn, at August 22, 2006 11:57 AM  

  • Eye,

    I read a lot of Geisler's book this weekend. I actually skipped all around (started from the back LOL), but I think I read at least half of it. I thought the parts I read were pretty good.

    I thought it was so funny because I said the exact same thing he said, "God makes us (the elect) an offer we can't refuse." I promise I had not read the book before I made that statement in response to your quote of his on the irresistibleness of grace to the elect. That sort of thing happens to me all the time! LOL It's simply like-mindedness. In this case, I guess we've both seen The Godfather. :-)

    Thanks for the recommendation. I look forward to reading the rest of the book.

    By Blogger Dawn, at August 24, 2006 1:50 AM  

  • Dawn,

    Just goes to show you great minds think alike! Especially when it comes to extreme Calvinism.

    :)

    In Him,

    Eye

    By Blogger Eye, at August 24, 2006 8:15 PM  

  • Eye,

    Yes, good post. I appreciate your insight in exposing the extremes of while stating the positives. I fear that too often man embraces a helpful interpretive framework and forcibly imposes it upon scripture with out realizing that it is a fallible human help. The infinite God cannot be contained by finite man!

    Blessings,
    Leo

    By Blogger Leo, at August 25, 2006 2:34 AM  

  • Leo,

    Thanks and well said!

    In Him,

    Eye

    By Blogger Eye, at August 25, 2006 6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home